Sunday, November 20, 2005

Wasted weekend

Feel like shit right now. Another wasted weekend. Did not accomplish much. I really need to get my act together. This blog is symbolic of what my weekend (and my life recently) has been like. Stilted, with no direction and focus.


And it's not like I don't have tons of things going on. The Darden application is due on the 1st of Dec and I can't get my sorry ass to sit in one place and concentrate on trying to figure out how "my past experiences have influenced my leadership style". These corny essay topics that business schools choose make me gag! The thought of smart men and women sitting and going through reams of BS written by prospective students on how they are the second coming of Michael Dell, with their business initiative or Mother Teresa with their "humanitarian" side, is hilarious (and in case, some adcom ever comes across this blog....i keeed)! But I digress....


So I decided to cut myself off from the limited social engagements that I did have for the weekend and finish off my essays in one marathon session. That shouldn't be too hard...I should be able to sit and concentrate for 2 days straight....No biggie...YEAH RiGHT!


The master plan was that I'd sit at the local library, this breathtakingly gorgeous building by the beach and sip on a latte and brainstorm. Got lunch, turned off the cell phone, got the laptop, picked up the Darden brochure and headed out. I had a sense of purpose. Let's go! You know where this is going right? The plan, the preparation, the build up.....and then...kaput! I get there and there's this HUGE fair going on the grounds outside the library. Apparently all the frickin geeks in the area had chosen this weekend to converge on the good ol local library for a Pirate's Convention. Yea, you read that right. A pirate's convention! Try brainstorming and thinking about leadership and career goals when you have grown men dressed as pirates performing these elaborate routines complete with sword fights and singing! And we're not talking a couple of pirates. We're talking hundreds of them. And the women. Ah, the women. I'm surprised those dudes could even concentrate on their intricate sword moves with all that cleavage around! So needless to say, after an hour or so of valiantly laboring on, I gave up the whole essay thing as a bad job and joined the revelry.


So we come to Sunday. Have no fear kiddo. All is not lost. You have an entire day ahead of you. You know you can do it. Once those creative juices start flowing, you're gonna have those essays done in no time. RIIGGGHHTTT. Sunday morn I realize I had set up a lunch "date" with this girl I met recently! Dunno how that slipped my mind. Well I do know. Had something to do with a certain hottie from London but that's a story for another day.


So the "date" went pretty well. Will probably see her again. But for some reason, the thing was kinda stressful. Didn't have my A game on. Wasn't really feeling good about it. Decided to sleep it off. And sleep it off I did. For 3 hours! And here we are.


Got on my comp to finally get some work done and succumbed to my latest addiction. Blogging. Well not blogging per se. More like reading other people's blogs. There's a voyeuristic pleasure in following what's going on in the lives of people and sitting and judging them and the decisions they take. Kind of like a bad soap. The Sepia Mutiny group blog is kinda interesting. Frequented by some very smart and insightful people, but they sometimes come across as stodgy and pompous. Gets annoying. That blog led me to a couple of interesting blogs including Rupa's blog and Anna's blog among several others. First impression: narcissistic loser, completely in love with herself (i couldn't have been more wrong obviously). HOWEVER, isn't there a certain element of narcissism in *all* of us? Especially, those of us who blog about our personal lives or thoughts. Or is it just a need for attention and validation? More on this later. And then of course there are all the usual suspects..App, Rupa, DT, Shreya and a ton of others. Getting addicted to that shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home