Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Hello, bonjour, hola, ciao, hoi and namaste

So as I sit here enjoying my vacation, blissfully oblivious to the "mba world", people are already working on resumes, attending workshops and such??? Hmm....

Well I did run into that consultant from BCG in Segovia. And I did introduce him to the cute Canadian girls I had met. And I did hang out with him for most of the day listening to his boring stories. Talk about some hardcore networking right there!.....That's just me convincing myself that the summer hasn't been a complete waste from a professional standpoint. Not that I care.

The vacation has been absolutely amazing so far. It's been all that I expected and more. I shall upload some pics in a couple of days from each of the cities I visited and also talk briefly about my experiences in and impressions of each city. And then there are the people. I think one of the most interesting things about travelling alone is the people you meet. The people I ran into and spent time with were as diverse as a 65 year old retired art teacher, bagpacking across Europe all alone, an NHL player vacationing in Paris with his girlfriend, a guy who was writing a 3 part book on "the subcultures of bagpackers, bikers and S&M enthusiasts" and many many more. Shall talk more about these folks in my next post.

Of course there were the occasional hiccups. Vueling Airlines losing my bag on my flight from Madrid to Rome and leaving me with nothing except a jacket, my passport, my wallet and my "Let's go, Europe" book wasn't excatly my idea of the ideal first day in Rome. Then there was the fact that one of the engines on the plane taking me from Turin to Amsterdam decided to die on us right as we were preparing for take-off, leaving me stuck in that tiny airport for 6 hours. But these things just add to the experience and every thing turned out fine ultimately, so it's all good.

I have finally arrived in the motherland! It's unbelievably hot and the sheer number of people around me always takes me some getting used to. And of course, every time I go out in my car, it's like I'm entering this video game in which people, vehicles and animals can come at me from every direction and if I lose, I die....but this is home and I love it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. I'll be looking forward to the photos...

6/07/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Forrest Gump said...

that sounded like a very interesting trip. do post some photographs

6/07/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger DesiGalNYC said...

ah the cows vs. the marutis! can't wait to visit the motherland. have fun! and thanks for the Firenze tips.

6/08/2006 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home